For the month of May 2018 we will be running events for Brawl on Tuesdays nights. Entry is $5 per person. Bring your best 1v1 Brawl deck either Standard or Modern legal to play. Prize support is any Standard legal pack while supplies last. A win is best 2 out of 3 games per match against your opponent. Cards banned in Standard will be banned for Standard Brawl.
For those playing our Modern Brawl, cards from the following sets will be banned for the first 4 weeks of play: Journey into Nyx, Dark Ascension, Alara Reborn, Lorwyn, Champions of Kamigawa, Mirrodin. Afterwards, a new 6 sets will be banned with the previous weeks banned sets allowed back in. The idea is to have rotating sets allowed within Modern Brawl to keep things interesting.
What is Brawl?
- Each player’s deck is exactly 60 cards. Other than basic lands, no card may appear in a deck more than once. Each card must be legal in the Standard or Modern format.
- Before the game begins, each player designates one legendary creature or planeswalker card in their deck as their commander. This card begins the game in the command zone and the other 59 cards are shuffled up.
- The mana symbols that appear on your commander dictate what cards may be in your deck. Mana symbols that don’t appear on your commander can’t be in the deck. For example, if the Dominaria card Firesong and Sunspeaker is your commander, your cards may have R, W, both, or neither, but no B, G, or U symbols may appear anywhere in your deck. This includes the card’s text box as well as its mana cost; for example, Pride Sovereign from the Hour of Devastation set can’t be in your deck if your commander has only G in its cost and rules text.
- Each player begins the game at 30 life rather than 20. If you’re playing a multiplayer game (which we recommend for Brawl!), each player draws seven cards again on their first mulligan and the player who plays first draws a card on their first turn.
- As long as your commander is in the command zone, you may cast it from there. Doing so costs an additional two mana for each time you have cast the card this way this game.
- If your commander is countered or leaves the battlefield, you may put it back into the command zone instead of putting it anywhere else it would go.
- The Brawl variant has no other rules for playing, winning, or losing the game. Have fun!